I love our Teaching & Worship Experience and how it brings us together each week, either through our live study, streaming/community groups or here on the blog. So today I wanted to share with you some of my notes from this week’s lesson. This week, we looked at Ephesians 2:1-10. In this text, Paul’s letter to the Ephesians does the following:
- Begins with describing the state of humankind and ends with but God… (we’ll get more into that in a minute)
- Starts with the Jews and moves into everyone to include the Gentiles—all were dead before they met Christ in their sins
- Delivered from hopeless state of our trespass and sins
But to fully grasp this text, we need to understand a couple of definitions:
- Trespass– paraptoma means false step involves either the crossing of a known boundary or deviation from the right path
- Sin– hamartia means missing the mark; falling short of a standard
Now, wouldn’t that be depressing if we were stuck there – in our sin and trespasses? But God…
You hear me say this often, when we see where God has done what only He could do. In this text in Ephesians, we see the following “but God…” evidence:
- His rich mercy and love made us alive and raised us up
- Power- same as what raised Jesus from the dead is available to us
- Position- His same position (place of honor) seated by the Father is available to us.
It’s amazing, isn’t it? That the same power and position of Jesus is given to us, too! As you reflect on this, I encourage you to watch this video. We must not shrink back!